Wednesday, May 27, 2009

-Gay Marriage Questions For Everyone-

I've been pretty deliberate to not blog when it comes to politics or my political views. I usually try to keep my blogs to spiritual issues or, in most cases, my own mindless ramblings about things I think are fascinating but the rest of you wonder what I'm even so interested in. And while I think this post is more spiritual than political, many people will view it as the reverse. With that disclaimer, I'll begin.

Yesterday, (05/26/09), the California Supreme Court ruled to confirm the November 2008 California ballot initiative known as Proposition 8. In a nutshell, Prop. 8, which passed by a margin of 4%, defined marriage in California as being between 1 man and 1 woman, effectively closing the door to gay couples getting married. The State Supreme Court basically said, what the majority of voters want is OK with us. (Of the 7 judges, 6 voted to confirm Prop. 8 and only 1 voted to overturn it.)

I don't know where any one of you stands on this issue. Due to the general content of most of my blogs, I am persuaded to believe that most of you are against gay marriage. I'm some of you aren't and quite frankly where you stand on this issue is not my concern. The point of this blog is NOT to influence anyone to one side or the other. What I want us ALL to do is ask ourselves a few questions and really consider then before "towing the party line," whatever party you may be in. So, below are some questions we need to ask ourselves before we get so emphatic about this, clearly, polarizing issue. 

1. Are we all prepared for the probability that gay marriage will be legal within the next 2 election cycles?
It is VERY likely that gay marriage will be legal in California in a matter of just a few years. Those against gay marriage should not simply plug there ears and pretend this isn't true. This is the direction that our culture is headed and that's all there is to it. I am not suggesting you change your beliefs or that you give in and vote contrary to your own convictions. I am simply suggesting that, baring an act of divine intervention, (which God rarely does in matters like this), the outcome will eventually turn toward legalizing gay marriage. Now, if you are for gay marriage you should prepare for this day with a certain degree of anticipation but please, if and when gay marriage is legalized, accept it with humility and not with an "in your face" attitude.

2. If gay marriage IS legalized, where then do we draw the line?
What happens when we redefine marriage? Other groups will come out of the woodworks with a cry of "Hey, what about us?" Will polygamy, (the practice of having more than one spouse at a time), be allowed next? Will someone be able to marry a dog? A tree? A corpse? I know these sound like far-fetched examples but if there is anything we have learned about people in our society it's that there is not limit on how far we can take something. Look up an organization called NAMBLA and you'll find proof of what I'm talking about. We need to be aware of where the line should be drawn.

3. Are we too hung up on the word "marriage"?
This is a question for both sides. If you are against gay marriage you probably feel that way because of certain faith-based morality and applaud your commitment to your convictions. But if God doesn't recognize a union between a gay couple then do we really care if the State of California does? Why are we OK with it if a heterosexual couple who had sex while they were dating gets married? Isn't their life-style just as sinful? If you are FOR gay marriage you may not be aware that same-sex couples who had civil unions already have the exact same rights as married couples in California. So why the NEED for the word "marriage"? Is it out of spite for "those religious people" who you just don't like?

4. What happens to clergy and church rights if gay marriage is legalized?
One of the reasons many churches are against gay marriage is because it creates a concern that the ministers, pastors and priests will be FORCED to perform ceremonies for a same sex couple regardless of their own personal convictions. As a pastor, I could be fined or jailed for refusing to perform a wedding ceremony for a same sex couple because I would discriminating. Doesn't this infringe on my Constitutionally protected freedom of religion? The same is true for the actual church facilities. Churches could theoretically be fined or lose their tax-exempt status for not allowing a gay couple to be married in their church. I think this is a travesty. You don't extend rights to one group, and in doing so trample the rights of another. And before anyone starts the, "Gay people don't want to do that to churches" argument, let me just say this. You're wrong. While the VAST majority of the gay community wouldn't want this to happen, there are activists in that community that would do just out of spite for how they've been, "mistreated by those religious people for years." It's the few that WOULD make an issue out of it that worries me.

5. For all our talk of love and equality, what's our real agenda?
All of us need to check our hearts. If you are against gay marriage out of your commitment to Biblical principles then you must also take into consideration the attitude with which you express those principles. Are we, as Christians, being an extension of God's love and grace? Is that the message we are sending? I believe there is way to disagree with someone's lifestyle without alienating them. I believe you can be against gay marriage but not against gay people. because Jesus was and is always FOR people. He expressed our need to change by dying for us. As Christians, are we willing to express others need to change by dying for them? If you are for gay marriage, is it really about equality for you? Or is it just about winning? If people against gay marriage should just accept you for who you are then shouldn't you just accept them for who they are? 

I have made a VERY concerted effort to not list where I stand on this particular topic. Those of you who know me probably know that. But the point of this blog wasn't to express where i stand but to try to help all of you have a better understanding of where you stand and, hopfully, where others are coming from. All of these are highly personal questions that I am not saying an entire people group should ask themselves but that individuals should ask themselves. Don't answer for the group of people who share your point of view but answer for yourself. With brutal honesty. Then encourage others to do the same. Only by seeing someone else's point-of-view will we really grow. I am not saying we have to agree with them. But I am saying that we should make an honest effort to understand them. Then, maybe we can disagree without demonizing our opposition.

3 comments:

Chris Yearyean said...

First off, one day I hope to be half the blogger you are. I wrote a blog on this yesterday but missed points that i wanted to hit on, you hit on them. I wholeheartedly agree that there will come a day where there needs to be a line drawn. And on the Church running into issues, it has happened in areas where gay marriage is legal, and will undoubtedly happen in California if/when gay marriage is legalized. I personally have no problem with homosexuals, to each his own. we all sin in some form. sin is sin, one is not greater than the next. When Jesus was on this earth he surrounded himself with sinners, outcasts, people that were socially taboo. I hit on it in my blog, but I think if the gay community were to petition to take the right of the state to define marriage away, they might find more support. as usual, great blog

Anonymous said...

My problem is when "Christians" try to change the world with politics rather than love. We need to face the fact that America is not a Christian nation anymore. Culture changes and this is where we are now and we need to accept it. I honestly believe that we can not allow our religious views to mix with our political views. I also believe that is impossible and the reason I do not vote on issues like gay marriage and abortion. The Church is sending a horrible message to the gay community. Whether we intend it this way or not, all they are hearing and seeing is that we hate them and want nothing to do with them. Isn't are ultimate goal to love people like Jesus did, show them a better way of life, and lead them to a relationship with God? I saw a clip on the news the night prop 8 passed that I will never forget. A group of "Christians" were at there church having a party celebrating the passing of prop 8. People were jumping off chairs and holding banners with a huge X through the word Gays. I don't know about you but if I were a homosexual, I would never listen to a word a Christian had to say and I would certainly never step foot inside a church. I think that when Christians stop being so hypocritical and stop complaining about issues like this and start doing what God has called us to do (love people), we will see culture shift.

John David Hall said...

Anonymous, thank you for your comment! While I completely agree with most of your points I have to say that when you say, "I honestly believe that we cannot allow our religious views to mix with our political views" you asking people to fill a tall order. My faith is what dictates many of my social practices which includes politics. Therefore I cannot separate the two. God is either the God of my entire life or none of it. I do however agree with you in that we cannot evangelize by legislation. If we change the laws in the USA to reflect a Biblical model it doesn't mean society will become Christian. in fact it will likely lash out against it.

My only other observation of your comment is that there was a lot of generalizing. The "Christians" you saw on TV are not an example of the majority of Christians. They are just the ones who get the press. This has been one of our huge PR issues as the Church. The people who represent us in the media, quite frankly, SUCK. But always remember that Jesus loves them and did for them too. Sometimes we get so caught up in whats wrong with the Church that we begin to resent it. but the Church is the Bride of Christ. The one he loves and died for. But all in all I found your comment VERY accurate and agree with you about culture changes and how we cant just plug our ears and pretend it's not happening. Our response to the culture change is how we will be viewed for the next 2 generations.