Wednesday, May 6, 2009

-10 Things That Get On My Nerves-

Do you have things that get on your nerves? Of course you do. i feel it's healthy to get these things out. So below are 10 things that really get under my skin. This is by no means an exhaustive list but it's a start. The most irritating part is that I'm guilty of many of these so, by definition, I annoy myself often. Here's 10 of mine though:

1) When people leave their blinkers on and don't change lanes.
I don't know what it is about this that just gets on my nerves but that constant yellow flashing in front of me for no reason is the visual equivalent to nails on a chalkboard for me.

2) When people bring more than 15 items into the express lane.
OK, I admit it. I'm a item counter. So sue me. I just find it arrogant and rude to believe that rules like this don't apply to you. 16 items is one thing But where does it stop? 20? 25?

3) When women wear clothes that are tight and revealing and then complain that men gawk at them.
Seriously, why is modesty such a problem these days. Sure we should always be respectful and not objectify women but, ladies, HELP US OUT. Especially if you think it's wrong for men to stare.

4) When I can't have a normal conversation with another Christian.
Does it bother anyone else when another Christian has to quote scripture to you the whole conversation? Don't get me wrong, I love the Bible... a lot. But when I ask "How are you doing?" I don't need to be reminded that "This is the day the Lord has made." And if I tell you I'm tired, I don't need to be reminded that Jesus said, "Come to me all who are weary and I will give you rest." I'm glad you're memorizing scripture and excited that you can apply it to daily life. But please, can we just chat, one human being to another?

5) When people think their car is too important to merely use up 1 parking space.
This really gets on me nerves in crowded parking lots but it is always just plain rude. Once again is displays an arrogance that seems to say, "The rules don't apply to me!"

6) Drama-prone people.
This is the kind of person that moves from one life crisis to the next. There always has to be a major issue going on with them. If there isn't, they find a way to cause one. Some people just don't know how to be happy I guess. It's probably a serious issue that they need help with too and usually I feel very bad for them. That is until their self-induced life crisis vomits all over me. I try to help but, for me, people like this suck the energy right out of me.

7) When someone has to "1-Up" everybody else in conversations.
Have you ever been talking to some people about something that happened to you and then someone steps in and say, "That's nothing," and then proceeds to share how their experience makes yours look lame? I'm sorry I wasted everyone's time with my "nothing" story.

8) When someone speeds up so I don't get in front of them on the freeway and then proceeds to slow down to 60 mph.
What the heck!? I just don't understand the HURRY UP AND SLOW EVERYONE DOWN mentality. These people have a sense of urgency for about 4 seconds and then it magically disappears.

9) Militant Raiders fans.
OK I'm all for being a fan of a sports team. I love sports and have favorite teams myself. Shoot, I'm even generally OK with some of the body-painting or bizarre outfits. But I should be able to cheer for whatever team I want in whatever stadium I want without the fear of being assaulted for it. But if I go to the Oakland Coliseum and root for the Dolphins, there's a 78% chance I'll be leaving the stadium in an ambulance. Settle down Silver and Black Brigade. Why are you all so bent out of shape anyway? Is it because the Raiders suck? (P.S. Red Sox fans are not far behind on this one)

10) Oblivious Drivers
Hey, lady. THERE ARE OTHER PEOPLE ON THE ROAD! I am a true believer that I am not only responsible for the safety of the people in MY car but also people in the cars around me. I think that not killing anybody is a pretty big priority. So when you're driving, pay a-freaking-tention. Get off the phone, put the burger down, and for the love of God and everything that's holy, put your make-up on at home.

So there's my 10. I know it's a super spiritual blog post but like I said, I think it's healthy to get these things out in the open. Did I miss anything? Do you agree with these? Do you take issue with any of them? What did I forget? I'd love to hear what you think and what gets on your nerves.

1 comment:

JWL said...

Those are the 10 things that get on your nerves? That's Nothing. You should see my list... LOL