Wednesday, April 15, 2009

-Guilt In Church Clothes-

Over the last few days I've been bombarded by the facebook phenomenon of "becoming a fan." If you don't know, basically what happens is that little messages pop up on the side of your facebook page with a tiny picture and a label and asks you if you'd like to be a fan. These things range from organizations like, "In-N-Out" or "Disneyland" to specific things like "cookie dough" or "The Office" and even activities like, "sleeping" or "jogging." Participation is completely voluntary but sometimes you just cant help it.
 
On facebook, I have "become a fan" of several things. Twitter, The Angels, Samoa Girl Scout Cookies, U2, Dr. Pepper, and Cow Bell are just a few examples of what I am a facebook fan of. But earlier this week I added three more things. Earlier this week I became a fan of "Jesus," "God," and "The Bible." (Sorry Holy Spirit but I haven't found a "become a fan" for you yet.) That got me thinking about how many other people became a fan f Jesus, God and the Bible more out of obligation than desire. I hate that idea.
 
I've never been a big fan of guilt, especially being guilted into something. Every now and then when Krissy and I are having an argument she or I will will throw something out there because we know the other person will feel guilty. It's stupid really. But the first time she did it I said, "Pack my bags!" The said, "What?" and I repeated, "Pack my bags." "Why?" she asked playing right into my hands and I closed the set up. I said, "Cause' I'm going on a guilt trip!" (Husbands, don't make jokes like this in the middle of arguments, it only increases the likelihood that you'll be sleeping alone that night.) But I wonder how many people feel guilted into being a facebook fan of Jesus.

It's like those Christian chain-letters that I HATE with every fiber of my body, mind, and soul. You know, the ones that always end with, "If you really love God, send this to 20 people bla bla BLA." Some of them even go as far as to say something like, "If you don't really want to stand up for God just delete this." (FYI to all my friends; I delete these immediately upon receiving them and never think about them again.) I seriously can't see Jesus talking to me after I die and being disappointed that I didn't forward the email to my friends. "Well John, Dad and I had big plans for you and Ghosty was all ready to make it happen. But then you deleted that email and it sent shock-waves throughout eternity that caused unparalleled repercussions. We thought Lucy, ha ha he really hates it when we call him that, was going to win there for a second."
 
I believe that Jesus came to set us free from guilt. To help us let go of the past and move forward instead. Jesus demonstrates this over and over again with Peter, the woman at the well, and the adulterous woman just to name a few. He says, "Nor do I accuse you." You can't be found guilty if you're not accused. But we Christians have dressed up guilt and given it a different name. Christian guilt is called, "conviction." Are you serious? Conviction is just guilt in church clothes. We can't be convicted if we're not accused either. So what's it called when we really do feel bad or awkward because we've done something we know God isn't fond of. I think a better word is "remorse". I don't think we feel convicted because Jesus didn't come to condemn. I think it is our heart and soul feeling remorse for letting our body take us a step away from God. Yeah, remorse is a better word.
 
Incidentally, I am a facebook fan of Jesus but not because I felt obligated. I wanted to. The word "fan" is actually short for the word "fanatic." If I'm going to be fanatical about something or someone, I think it should be Jesus. He was pretty fanatical about us so I'll gladly return the favor. But not out of guilt. Not out of conviction. Not out of obligation. Not even out of remorse. Out of joy. Out of love. Out of gratitude. Out of choice. I hope He doesn't get upset that I just deleted another Christian chain letter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WEll said John! Great reading material-Ps--I have always deleted the "if you don't" emails too! Unless they PROMISED money! Ha ha~