Wednesday, February 11, 2009

-I Don't Want To Be A Cheap Copy Of Jesus-

I've been going to church regularly for about 18 years now. I realize that to some people that isn't very long and to other it's an eternity but to me it's just the way my life has unfolded. During that time I have been introduced to an immeasurable amount of "Christian" concepts. Doctrine, theology, dogma, apologetics, essentials, non-essentials, allegorical interpretation, literal interpretation, verse by verse studies, subjective studies, I could go on and on. But if I examine all the concepts I've been taught within these "ologies" much of it seems to be based on an interpretation of the words the Bible says rather than the point these words are trying to make.
 
For example, when Christians get together and pray as a group, one of us inevitably quotes Jesus in Matthew 19 saying something like, "Lord, you told us that where two or more are gathered in your name, you'd be there." We can't resist the urge to quote this verse and claim the presence of Jesus in out little meeting. For some reason we also figure that since He said He'd be there with us He must approve of whatever we're doing or deciding in our little gathering. This can be very dangerous. What makes it worse is that if you look at the context Jesus actually said this in, it could change the point. Jesus was talking about confronting another person if he or she offends you. Christians are good at this. Adding meaning where it may not be. Quoting a quaint little verse with complete disregard for the point that verse was actually making. And to top it all off, we add stuff.
 
Now, when I say we add stuff I don't mean we add self-serving gibberish and try to pass it off as biblical truth. (Although that does happen too.) What I mean is that we devise well intentioned concepts and over time, they become so attached to our theology that we never question them. One of these concepts that I have been re-examining and wrestling with is the idea that God wants us be, and we should strive to be "Christlike." On the surface, this is a beautiful concept. What could be more valuable than trying to emulate Jesus? The problem is that the word "Christlike" isn't found anywhere is scripture. Nor is there any passage telling us we should be "like Christ." The closest thing is found in Philippians 2 where Paul says that our "attitude" should be the same as Jesus'. And in this instance Paul was referring to humility and serving others. Here's what I have come up with so far as I wrestle with this. Maybe God wants me not to be "Christlike' but to be "Johnlike" through Christ's reconciliatory work. I'll try to explain.
 
I don't think God is interested in having a bunch of "Jesuses" running around. First off, He knows there is no way we could ever measure up to that standard. So why would He set such an impossible goal? I don't think He would. What I do think is that God wants me to be like the person He has envisioned ME becoming. We often forget that Jesus was a human. He had a personality and idiosyncrasies and maybe even an O.C.D. or two. So if God wanted us to be just like Jesus, He would have wired us all with the same personality, idiosyncrasies and O.C.D.s. But that isn't what he did. So what does this mean then? What can we assume God wants from us? Who does God want us to be?

I think God is a lover of variety and uniqueness. One look at creation should tell us that. So I think that God's goal for me is to be the version of John that He had in mind from the beginning. I don't have the same gifts and abilities as Jesus and neither do you. So why try to become what I CAN'T ever be? I think I should invest my energy into becoming what I CAN be. "Johnlike" is what I want to be. Not the current version of John but the one God dreams I can be. Of course as I strive for that and make changes to the person I am I will take on certain "Christlike" attributes. Of course my attitude will change like Paul suggested it should. Of course my actions will become more loving like the actions of Jesus were. But I wasn't created to be Jesus, I was created to be John. The best, most loving and humble version of John I can be. The version of John that Jesus makes it possible for me to become. Jesus did not redeem me to God so that I could be a cheap copy of Him. He redeemed me to God so that I could be the unique masterpiece He formed me to be. Help me, God, to become that version of John.

1 comment:

Jeff Moore said...

I've always thought "model Christian" is a cop out too. Model means a small imitation of the real thing.
We were created in His image. He expects a great deal out of us.
I agree: being Christlike doesn't mean wearing sandals and a robe. It means pleasing the Father, and doing as He commands. Following His voice actually PLEASES Him. Isn't that amazing and awesome? We can *affect* the Almighty!
I'm with you, John.