Wednesday, July 16, 2008

-What's Wrong With Organized Religion?-

I like to read. I didn’t always like to read. In fact until I was about 20 I hated it. Then a close friend and life mentor gave me a book and made reading it a requirement. When I finished that one he gave me another one. And then when I finished that one he gave me another one. It was non-stop and after three or four books I realized how much I was learning and growing. At that point I started getting my own books instead of waiting for him to give me one. Now I am constantly reading. Sometimes up to four books at a time. (No not at the exact same time)

Well lately I have been enthralled with books about the emerging generations and their thoughts and perceptions of the “church.” Great information. I am learning quite a bit really about the best way to communicate Jesus to this generation. But I came across one excuse that they use for not liking the church and got a little frustrated. It’s the “I don’t like organized religion,” excuse.

When ever I’ve heard that it has always left me with an awkward feeling. What’s wrong with organized religion? The government is organized, (sort of). The educational institutions are too. Police, restaurants, retail stores, city layouts like traffic signals and stop signs and where to put parks or schools or shopping centers are all organized. Our families are organized with certain tasks and responsibilities belonging to designated people. Our homes are organized as to what room is dedicated to what activity. Even our computers are organized in programs, files, folder and all kinds of other things I have no clue about. Every aspect of our lives is organized. So why shouldn’t our religion be too?

Now I’m not talking about certain church “leaders” who organize other Chirstians around a political agenda that is divisive and judgmental in nature. I understand that that brand of Christians are out there but in reality, they are a major minority, albeit a loud one. Personally, I think the “I don’t like organized religion,” excuse is a cop out most of the time. Not all of the time, but most of the time. In that case, you shouldn’t work for a company because it’s an organization. You shouldn’t sleep in your bedroom because that’s how the house was organized. You shouldn’t drive on the streets because they are part of the organization of the city. You also shouldn’t purchase or even turn on a computer because it’s an organizational piece of equipment that was built by a…you guessed it…organization.

Does that mean they would be willing to be a part of an “UNorganized religion?” I’m just straining to understand it that’s all. Because when ever I have followed up that excuse with the question “What do you mean organized religion,” the answer is ambiguous at best. Usually I get the “It’s hard to explain” answer, which is code for, “I just don’t want to live a Christian life.” I wish they would just say that. I could respect that. I just think that sometimes, people who are copping out need to be called on it.

Now calling people out on their excuses should only be done with great delicacy. I am not suggesting we point our fingers at people and ridicule them. That kind of attitude got the western church where it is today in the first place. But I also believe that we shouldn’t be so afraid of scaring people off that we become spineless. Jesus never ran after anyone and apologized or insisted that they simply misunderstood him. We can be confrontational without being combative. Like I said, I simply follow-up the “I don’t like organized religion” excuse with asking them to define what they mean by organized religion. First off, it’s a non-combative question that is simply asking someone to explain his or her point of view deeper. Secondly, I’m actually honestly interested in what they mean. I want to get to the bottom of peoples perceptions of the church and what is wrong and right about them. But the majority of the time the “organized religion” concept is used it is simply a bunch of BS.

Don’t get me wrong I understand the need to meet people where they are at and only go as far with the subject as they are willing to go and I am completely on board with that. But people need to be honest about where they are at for me to meet them there.
I believe the church has some major ground to cover in the western world. I believe that in the past Christians have abused their influence and created many false perceptions of the church at large. I believe we should not be judgmental and accept anyone, wherever they are at. I believe we need to make some serious changes to our approach to out-reach and evangelism. But Jesus also said that the Kingdom of God advances by force and forceful men lay hold of it. I’m thinking about getting shirts made up that say, “What’s so bad about organized religion?” What do you think?

No comments: