Wednesday, November 12, 2008

-Don't Stop In Fog-

It was foggy when I drove into the office this morning.  Not too bad but enough to make you pay a little more attention than you normally do.  I got in my car, pulled out of the driveway and headed toward the freeway to get to work.  As I trekked the thin fog I made sure to keep my speed down a little from what it usually is and to turn my headlights on.  I began to remember times when I drove through dense fog.  Fog that made it difficult to see even 20 feet feet in front of me.

I was on the 71 during most of these times, heading home late at night to Corona from San Dimas where Krissy lived when we were dating.  The fog got so bad at some points that me and the few other drivers on the road turned on our hazard lights for a little more visibility.  at first I wasn't sure if this was a great move but then I saw a CHP unit that was doing the same thing so I figured it was OK.  I would also slow down quite a bit as to not come up behind another car too fast.  But one thing I didn't do, ever, was stop.  Because stopping and sitting there until the fog clears up could do more harm and be a grater risk than if I just kept moving forward.

Stopping in that situation would be a huge mistake.  Not only would I not get to where i was going, but I would put my vehicle and myself in danger too.  When things get foggy while driving, you should continue to move forward at a safer slower pace but you shouldn't actually stop.  I think the same is true for our spiritual life as well.

I cannot tell you how many times I have heard Christians say that they aren't moving forward with something because they are "waiting on God."  I hate that expression.  I think most of the time it's just an excuse to not actually make a decision or have to do something.  Don't get me wrong, I know that there are some people who are honestly and earnestly seeking God's direction, but most of the time I don't think this is the case.  I think most of the time we think if we move we'll fail and so we fail to move.

I think the biggest reason I hear for this failure to move is that we want to make sure that this is what God wants us to do.  Whether is has to do with school, work, relationships, ministry or whatever else, many Christians are totally paranoid about making a move or a change that they want to make because they're afraid that it's not what God really wants.  They know where they want to go, but the road seems a little foggy and the way isn't crystal clear so they just stop.  So how should we handle these situations?

Psalm 37:4 says: "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of you heart."  Many of us have heard this verse over and over again but I think we miss all of what it is saying.  We read it to mean that if we honor God and seek Him, he will give us the things that our hearts want most.  While there is some truth to this, I think it's only half of the real meaning here.  I read it as saying that if we honor God and seek Him, then He will give our hearts the things that they should desire.  It's the same verse from a different angle.

This view of this verse has given me permission to move forward even if the road in front of me is foggy.  because rather than knowing I want to do something and having to wait for God's answer as to whether or not I should do it, I view my desire to do it as His answer.  in other words, God is the one who gave me the desire to do it in the first place.  if what I am seeking is not destructive to myself, to others, or to the church, then what is my hesitation?  If it honors God, then I move forward believing He is the one who put that desire in my heart.

Sometimes the way is crystal clear and I can coast forward with great speed and ease because God has cleared the path for miles ahead.  Sometimes the way isn't so clear though.  It is during these times when i proceed with caution, slowing my pace and taking steps to avoid damaging myself or the vehicle carrying me.  But I don't stop moving forward.  because stopping and sitting there until the fog clears up could do more harm and be a greater risk than if I just kept moving forward.

Are you waiting to hear from God about something before you move on it?  Is there a choice you want to make or something you want to do but are afraid of doing it because the road in front of you seems foggy?  Why are you waiting?  If what you want to do is not destructive to you, to others, or to the church then maybe your desire to do it is the answer you're looking for.  Sure, if the road isn't clear, you should proceed with caution.  But don't just sit there. Move forward through the fog.  Don't just sit in it.

No comments: